Sunday 17 June 2012

The Colonel's diary, and fish this week (already!)

 Colonel’s Diary – 14th June 2012

The threat from an imminent, deep Atlantic low plus it’s attendant wind and rain prompted me to make a pleading call to my good friend Paul, in the hope I might sneak in a day’s fishing on my favoured Willow Pool, before the latest ‘British Summer’ descended. I was, as usual, welcomed with open arms. What an unselfish chap, granting me such access to his truly delightful water and the shoals of Roach residing therein.

Paul was busy himself, tending to routine chores in the interests of his paying angling guests in the Park, but I was greeted by the equally smiley Emma, who is not only far better looking than her Dad but also makes a rather splendid cup of tea too. I’d only just stepped from my car when I heard the sweetest of enquiries, ‘ Tea or coffee, Ray?’
‘What service’, I quipped, ‘I think a nice cup of tea for a change, please’.

Emma scurried off kitchenwards and I cast a quick eye over the pool. Still and calm, with a goodly amount of wind blown pollen gathered at the foot of my bank, resulting from the overnight breeze which heralded the forboding Atlantic low. Then I spied something I’d not seen before on Willow Pool……….bubbling, and lots of it, all over the small bay in front of my pitch. For some reason, and I don’t understand why, fish in the Pool are reluctant to show their whereabouts by bubbling or rolling and leaping. They ‘smokescreen’ regularly but are somewhat shy in the ‘bubbling, rolling and leaping’ department. I was suitably impressed and eager to wet a line, but first things first……my tea had arrived and Emma was keen to update me about goings on with the local wildlife, and I was keen to hear all. The fish will still be there in a quarter of an hour, while I enjoy a delicious cuppa and a chat with my very knowledgeable friend.

And so to fishing. I’d forgotten to put a tin of sweetcorn in my bag, but I had visited the supermarket on my way over, so had a nice fresh loaf for flake, plus the liquidised remains of the loaf I’d used when last I visited. I also had an idea to use a bait I’d not tried for many a year, compressed crust. And I knew Paul would have some corn in his storage box on the bank if I got really desperate for a bait change. I’d not prevail further upon his kindness just yet though. Let’s persevere with the two bread options for the time being. It’s so enjoyable catching these fish on basic, traditional baits.

At the same time as I was pinching the first piece of flake on a barbless 10 hook, I heard a flopping splash as a large fish turned on the surface. Glancing up to my right, I saw the heavy ripple arcing away from the spot. Half a second later, my gaze still affixed, the surface broke open violently as a golden scaley one cleaved through and upwards, escaping his domain in a leap of joy. Well, they’re really excelling themselves for me today, I thought. First bubbling, then magnificent leaping; they are real carp now. Three cheers.

Delighted with Paul’s carp revealing themselves in true carpy fashion, I cast my float for his beautiful roach; and they didn’t disappoint either. 1lb 9ozs was the biggest of the 20 or so that I outwitted over the day. But my biggest success was outwitting the weather, which, after a couple of hours turned quite contrary, with a strong wind blowing into my face. The Atlantic low was ahead of schedule and hurrying along apace.  If there’s one mood of the weather that’s guaranteed to irk me on stillwater, it’s a headwind; and I suspect I am not alone in that. It got the better of me and I changed to a Heath Robinson running link leger, with a bread paste bobbin indicator. Back to basics!!!!! And I still caught, even using this crudest of crude set-ups. What a pool the ‘Willow’ is.

I tired of fishing so crudely and reset the float rig, as I should have done in the first place, ensuring a deeper sinking of the line, waggler style. Much more satisfying to conquer this confounded early weather system, present a bait properly and catch the best fish of the day. I finished the day on a high, in spite of the Atlantic low, thanks to my dear friends, Paul, Emma and the Willow Roach.

Thanks Ray!


I couldn't wait to share the most recent catch report with you from Lonsdale, so please forgive me as I'll repeat it later once I've caught up with pictures!

But the Plattell party have had a 22lb, a 21lb, and a few others at ~15lb mark, and a couple of lovely tench between the 4 of them already! The boys are kindly going to lend me their memory card tonight so I can upload some pictures for you tomorrow.
And Steve stopping in the lodge said he had 5 carp last night.
It certainly seems our Lonsdale's Secret Recipe White Chocolate and Strawberry based boillies are the bait to use right now! (Can't go wrong at only £7.99 a bag either!)
It great when everyone comes up to me to show me their photo's - especially the ones with great big grins!

The fish seem to be feeding all over the park so it looks set to be a great couple of weeks!

And we're still offering the accomodation we have available for the week of the 30th June at upto half price! (for bookings upto max 4 people) 
So you could stay in a 2 bed cottage for a week for only £355! 
(If you were stopping in the Premier Inn at J42 that week it would cost you £455! 
and you only get one double room and bathroom there - certainly no fishing!)

To return home click: www.lonsdalepark.co.uk

No comments: