Friday 30 November 2012

Lovely Chub-ly on the Fly

It's getting colder out, and that means the Chub are really starting to show!

My friend Christian and I decided to venture into the world of fly fishing this autumn, and started with a trip to New Mills Trout Farm nearby at Brampton. The day ended well with Christian taking home a 6lb Rainbow.
I on the other hand needed a little extra practice! Luckily close family friend John was soon to visit to give me some pointers.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I was due to head down to see my boyfriend, and meet up with Christian before the 3 of us tried our best fluff chucking in the Midlands.
I asked Dad if he could find a little trout rod, and he disappeared upto the Cafe. 10 minutes later he reappeared with a burgundy glass rod made by the East Anglian Rod Company, that I'm pretty sure is older than I am!
I figured I'd better have a few practice casts before heading out with the boys, and picked out a gold headed Black and Peacock caddis.
Second cast onto the water and to my surprise a hungry Chub wolfed it on the drop!
Given my previous ineptitude I was pretty surprised and very pleased, the Chub put up a great fight and the old through action rod certainly got my heart racing! Luckily Dad was on hand to snap a picture of my first fish on a fly.

Now I've heard of fly fishing for Pike, and a book has been published this year entitled "Flyfishing for Coarse Fish" by Dominic Garrett - here's hoping I'm on Santa's good list again! 
Catching a summer Carp on a bread fly sounds like the challenge for next year.





To return home click: www.lonsdalepark.co.uk

No comments: