Thursday 22 September 2011

Great North Run


I had a great time at the Great North Run on Sunday!
Above is me at the start line with my new friend Graham who was running for his wife who was diagnosed with breast cancer 18 months ago.
The whole day was a fantastic demonstration of the human spirit - everyone was running for a reason, and you could write it out and pin it to the back of your shirt, so I spent the whole day buoyed by pictures of hope and stories inspiring the determination of my fellow runners. And there was 54,000 of us!The locals turned out spectacularly and stayed through the torrential downpour to cheer us on. Many had bought oranges, ice lollies, jelly babies, face wipes and tissues to hand out to runners - all of which were very, very much appreciated!

The run itself was very enjoyable, the hardest bit was towards the end around 9-11 miles where the course turns uphill and you're just starting to fade. I was a fair bit slower than I had wanted to be (2:30) but I finished and really enjoyed it. I'd thoroughly recommend it!

A big Thankyou to everyone who sponsored me, it means alot.
Between the online and 'real world' sponsors I've almost reached my pledge of £500 for the British Heart Foundation.
It's not too late to help me, and even just the price of a pint would mean alot now! http://www.justgiving.com/Drinkall-GNR

No comments: