Tuesday 15 September 2009

Fell Walks and Canoeing

Below: my photo of beautiful buttermere!
Hello all,
Well Jamie returned and so I got the weekend off!
It was Tom's 21st on Saturday, and the weather was beautiful so we were tempted into walking up Haystacks which was Alfred Wainwright's favourite mountain, and where his ashes were scattered. We carried on to another hill called Fleetwith Pike which looked right down Buttermere with some amazing views!
We ended up walking in thye glorious sunshine for about 4 and half hours - and with the drive less than hour it was a lovely way to spend the day!
We also went up a little hill called Mellbreak the other week, which is a nice fell - where we didn't see another human being at all!

If you're interested in my walks I've added a folder called Fell Walks to the Photo Gallery and in there are a few pictures. Tom's also put a few up in a folder called The Lake District.

On Sunday the weather held, and Tom, a couple of friends and I went canoeing on Derwent Water.
Our friends 'Gulston' and Stuart came out with us - and were very amusing to watch. I can't talk because my steering skills are limited, but watching the two of them zigxag around and then land the canoe at the marina was quite funny! I've put a photo up of the two of them in the red canoe, dodging away from the other boats moored up.
Don't worry I tried to stick to the front of the boat so that the other lake users were spared my slightly dodgy steering!
It was really fun to get back on the water - though I did relearn a little lesson.
A motor boat passed in front of us and as I saw the wash I thought it would be fun to pick up a bit of speed and 'jump' the wave! Only we landed in between the next wave which came over and into my lap!! Oh well when you go out on the water, you can only get wet as far as your skin!

I'm hoping to get to the Honister Mine Via Ferrata route depending on when I go back to Uni too. In case you didn't know Via Ferrata is a sort of extreme mountain walking / rock climbing, but you're harnessed to a wire cable all the way along the route. (The same as climbing Harbour Bridge which I did in Sydney) It's only £20 and it's so close to us it has to be done! If you're interested search for 'Honister slate mine via ferrata' on Youtube to watch a video about it.

It's a shame that more people don't realise what a bounty Cumbria has to offer when they come to stay with us! The site is perfect for anglers but if your other half isn't so keen there's plenty to do and see around us!!

If you'd like to go back to the Lonsdale website please click here: http://www.lonsdalepark.co.uk/

1 comment:

Jim said...

I have to agree, a lot of people do tend to forget and some not even realise how wonderful our landscape is. The photos are lovely and the landscape breathtaking. I've done a bit of hiking and hill walking myself and share the joy. Thanks for sharing that with the world.